Science 8 deals with the motion of an object based on the Laws of Motion, concept of work, transfer of energy, such as temperature difference, and the types of the medium. It includes how active faults generate earthquakes and, how tropical cyclones originate from warm ocean waters. It explains the behavior of matter in terms of the particles it is made of, the ingredients in food and medical products are made up of these particles and are absorbed by the body in the form of ions. It explains that reproduction as a process of cell division resulting in growth of organisms delves deeper into the process of digestion, giving emphasis on proper nutrition for overall wellness.
At the end of the unit, the students will be able to:
1. Investigate the relationship between the amount of force applied and the mass of the object to the amount of change in the object’s motion;
2. Infer that when a body exerts a force on another, an equal amount of force is exerted back on it ;
3. Identify and explain the factors that affect potential and kinetic energy;
4. Investigates the effect of temperature to the speed of sound;
5. Explain the hierarchy of colors in relation to the energy of visible light
6. Differentiate between heat and temperature at the molecular level.
7. Infer the relationship between current and voltage;
8. Explain the advantages and disadvantages of series and parallel connections in homes.
9. Explain the functions of circuit breakers,fuses, earthing, double insulation, and other safety devices in the home
A. Laws of Motion
1. Nature of Force
2. Newton’s Three Laws of Motion
3. Circular Motion
B. Work, Energy and Power
2. Energy (Potential and Kinetic)
1. Sound Propagation
2. Speed of Sound
3. Doppler Effect
4. Application of Sound
1. Characteristics of Light
2. The Spectrum of Visible Light
3. Properties of Light
1. Temperature and Heat
2. Thermal Expansion
3. Quantity of Heat
4. Specific Heat Capacity of Water
5. Phase Change
6. Heat loss and Heat Gain
1. Electric Current, Voltage Source and Electrical Resistance.
2. Ohm’s Law
3. Electric Energy and Power
4. Series and Parallel Connections
5. Safety Electrical Devices
III. Criteria of Evaluation
- Ferriols-Pavico J.M., Morales-Ramos A.C., et. al.,(2018) Exploring Life Through Science Series (2nd edition), Phoenix Publishing House
- Angeles D.C., Crisostomo L.M. ,et. Al. (2018) Science Vistas 8 ( updated edition), Don Bosco Press, Inc.
- Vela-Evangelista E.Ph.D, Follosco G.L., Ph.D., (2018)Soriano-Pili A., Ph.D., Science in Today’s World Grade 8 (2nd edition), Sibs Publishing House, Inc.